Monday 21 June 2010

Peter Pan: Meet... Michael!

Finally out of our lost boys we have Michael, played by Vincent MacDonald, Lucas Button and Paul Munro.

Have you been involved in projects at The Dukes before, and if so, what?

Vincent: I have been involved in many youth theatre productions at The Dukes that are held in DT3.

Paul: Yes, for a year. I was in Macbeth.

Lucas: Yes – I have been a member of DT3 for many years and in various performances including Can’t Pay Won’t Pay, Macbeth and Spring Awakening. I was also in ‘A Christmas Carol’ with The Dukes Theatre (I was one of the Tiny Tims!).


How did you you hear about the show and what made you want to act in it?

Vincent: A letter was handed out at Youth Theatre and I thought that it would be really good to get involved.

Lucas: I love acting and really enjoy working with a professional team. I want to be an actor and so if there is a good opportunity I will be up for it. Being with the Dukes Promenade season is a dream come true.

Paul: I started acting in Cyprus, so I wanted to keep it going when I moved to Lancaster.


What challenges does this project pose for you?

Vincent: This is a big commitment and a lot of time needs to be put into this production.

Lucas: Properly getting used to the harsh rehearsal performance schedule and trying to fit my school work in around rehearsals. Having enough energy for a whole day of school and late rehearsals.

Paul: Not speaking too much!


You're all playing Michael- what is the most exciting thing about this role for you?

Lucas: Michael looks up to his brother and sister almost as mother and father and it is nice to play a role that is younger than I actually am because you can explore childhood games and adventures. Its really fun to play all the lovely games with the other actors!

Vincent: The most exciting things is just being able to perform in such a big production like this.

Paul: I get to be rolled down a hill in a pram!


What discoveries were made about your character through rehearsal that perhaps weren’t explicit in the script?

Paul: Even though I follow John around, I always agree with Wendy in our sibling talks.

Lucas: I have found that Michael looks up to Wendy and John as almost a mother and father. Like role models.


What kind of games and exercises have you been playing during rehearsals?

Vincent: We have been doing a dance which is in the performance but it is being used as an exercise at the moment.

Paul: Zip, zap, zop. Role play and stuff like that.

Lucas: We have been doing trust exercises and also getting used to the movement of our bodies and creating new ways of moving.


What have you particularly enjoyed about the Peter Pan process so far?

Vincent: I have particularly enjoyed being pushed about in a pram and doing my pre-show act which is trampolining. But I have really enjoyed doing the whole show it is a great experience.

Paul: Scene one was really fun!

Lucas: Probably the rehearsals because they are so fun but at the same time I am learning so much about how much people rely on you to do your best, to take notes so you don’t forget anything and to help the other actors if they need it.


And conversely, is there anything that you have found particularly difficult?

Paul: Not having lines!

Vincent: Not really but sometimes it is a bit hard to keep up.

Lucas: I think that what has been a challenge is the long days when we have rehearsals and getting up for school in the morning after later rehearsals! - but nothing that is really to do with 'the play' like script learning or the rehearsing itself.


What tips would you give to other emerging performers?

Paul: Wear warm clothes for outside work; Concentrate; Let yourself go.

Lucas: The first one would definitely be to have confidence in what you want to do because if you are scared of what people might think of you then you wont perform to your best. The second one would be to audition for lots of things because even if you don’t get the part you wanted it’s the actual experience that counts and the more practice you have of auditions the more confident you start to feel. Last tip would be enjoy what you are doing because there is nothing worse than committing to something and then regretting it or not enjoying it.




Peter Pan will be running in Williamson Park from Friday 2 July until Saturday 7 August.



Tickets are available from The Dukes box office on 01524 589500 and more details can be found at http://www.dukes-lancaster.org/.




No comments:

Post a Comment